Sunday, May 3, 2009

Poem in My Pocket

Our school has a day they call "Poem in My Pocket" Day. They have an hour in the afternoon that the teachers and any parent volunteers who want sit in the hall as students go around and read or recite poems to them. I went and actually filled in for Abby's teacher for this hour. We put North inside the classroom as I sat right in the middle of the doorway so he could not run out. He played inside the classroom while I sat and listened to poems. (In reality, I sat there with a smile on my face, signed the students' papers and told them things like, "Good Job" or "nice poem" or "that was cute". It was noisy in the hall and most students were not loud enough to actually hear.)


Abby got to take a special guest with her to share her poems. She took Flat Eli with her. We taped a safety pin to the back of him then pinned him on her shirt. So Flat Eli, got to experience "Poem in my pocket Day" with Abby.


For those of you who are wondering who Flat Eli is, there is a book called Flat Stanley where a boy gets flattened. His parents put him in an envelope to go visit family. Well, my Nephew, Eli, flattened himself and has been visiting with us this school year.

No comments: